Wednesday, June 2, 2010

2009 Marcus James Chardonnay, Mendoza, Argentina

I don't usually do wine reviews, but this one stuck out. I bought it at my corner store, on "very special sale," for $5. It wasn't chilled when I bought it, so I threw it in the fridge for maybe a half hour before I got impatient. I didn't smell it either. It's got like a golden-toxic color, something like Mt. Dew, and it has a nice, sweet, fruity taste, like apple-pear or whatnot, with a pleasantly sweet-sour finish. But it's most striking feature is this: I could scarcely take a sip without feeling like it had gone down the wrong tube. I didn't actually choke on it, but had to lean forward a bit, for at least two out of every three swallows.

I thought that it might be the manner in which I drank it - lying on my bed, eating potato chips and Reese's Pieces Easter eggs, while watching Bringing Up Baby (an excellent screwball comedy starring Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn) - but I had the same experience finishing up the bottle over my next couple of meals. Although I enjoyed the taste, I can't wholly recommend this 2009 Marcus James Chardonnay because of the "texture."

However, since at the moment it's the cheapest wine available at my corner store, I'll probably give it a second chance.

1 comment:

  1. I just drank this 2009 Chardonnay (April, 2011), and it has evidently matured since 2010. I really enjoyed it, especially at the great price of $4.00 at Sprouts (an organic grocery store) in Fort Worth, TX.

    ReplyDelete